About

The history of our church dates back to the 1800s when the Crawford family was led to establish a prayer meeting place in the Shadeville community. They built a Bush Harbor on their land and set aside Thursday night of each week to sing, pray, and give thanks to God. Previously, they had worshipped at St. Paul Primitive Baptist Church, but the three mile journey was tedious.


Within a few years, the prayer band at the Bush Harbor grew as other families began worshipping with the Crawford family, and the need for a church building became necessary. Under the leadership and Founder, the late Reverend Dolphus F. Crawford, and the late Moderator, Reverend C. B. Barley, the Crawford Church was founded on the second Sunday in May of 1902 in Shadeville, Florida. The building was a log cabin located on land owned by Noah Harvey at the “crossroads”, approximately a half mile west of the current church location.


The Crawford Church was in the Old West Association from 1902 to the early part of 1917 under the leadership of the late Reverend Dolphus F. Crawford, the late Reverend T.B. Bisby, and the late Reverend Hayman. In late 1917, under the leadership of the late Reverend T.J. Abram, the members changed to the Middle Florida Association. The first ordained deacon was Deacon Lewis Crawford.


God blessed the Crawford Church to grow to the point that the log cabin could not accommodate members and visiting friends. United in purpose, the members decided to relocate to property that was donated by the Crawford family. This time a wooden building was constructed. However, not many years passed before this building wasn’t large enough either. The members went to work again and constructed another wooden building and changed the name of the church to Little Salem Primitive Baptist. The pastoral day changed from the second Sunday to the third Sunday of each month.


In 1933, under the leadership of the late W. Y. Sanders, the members built another wooden church when a larger building was needed. They worshipped in that building for 38 years, from 1933 to 1971.
The church continued to grow and the members once more decided that a larger Church was required. In August 1968, a committee of five persons was elected to lead the building project under the leadership of the late Reverend B.C. Johnson.


The members were as follows: the late Deacon Glover Maxwell, the late Mother Queen Triplett, the late Brother Smith Gavin, Sr., the late Mother Flora “Minnie” Jackson and the late Mother Irene Randolph Wilson. They agreed this time to construct a block building. The building was dedicated on Sunday, November 21, 1971.


Structural problems with the church building as well as continued growth in members led the congregation to build again. Construction of the new church began in Fall 2002, under the leadership of Elder Renson A. Thompson. The trustees who were responsible for overseeing the building project were: Deacon Ronnie White (Chairperson), Minster Robin Sapp, Minister Lamar White (in training), Deacon James Godwin, Deaconess Tangela Sapp, Brother Joe Hill, Brother Wilbert Washington, Brother Willie Lindsey, Sister Cheryl Randolph, Mother Nellie White and Sister Shirley Lindsey. The building was dedicated on Sunday, July 13, 2003.


Little Salem Primitive Baptist Church has had twenty two pastors during its 115-year history; each brought special gifts of leadership that was needed at that particular time. The pastors’ names are as follows: the late Reverend Dolphus F. Crawford, the late Reverend T. B. Bisby, the late Reverend Hayman, the late Reverend T. J. Abram, the late Reverend Ed McPherson, the late Reverend Isaac Bradham, the late Reverend Garland, the late Reverend Clifford Hillard, the late Reverend Harry Stevens, the late Reverend Reuben Reed, the late Reverend Robert (Bob) Bradham, the late Reverend W. Y. Sanders, the late Reverend G. W. Sanders, the late Reverend S. A. Thomas, the late Reverend S. P. Jones, the late Reverend J. S. Holloway, the late Reverend Ish Wood, the late Reverend B.C. Johnson, Elder Renson A. Thompson, Interim Pastor Elder Robin Sapp, Elder Melvin Mobley, and our current pastor Elder Patrick Wright.


Even though we are unable to list the names and dates of service of all those faithful members who worked hard to get us to where we are today, we honor them at this time because they dedicated their time and resources to the work of our Heavenly Father.


This history does not tell all of the joys and sorrows that the congregation has experienced. There are many members who hold special places in our hearts because God worked through them to “make a difference.” We have been saddened as loved ones have gone on to be with our Lord. Conversely, we have been overjoyed and praise God for the many persons who have been saved through the gospel being proclaimed. In addition to worship service, Bible study, and Church School on a weekly basis, the church has active boards and ministries.

On December 31, 2014, the Lord blessed us to pay off the mortgage early. On June 7, 2015, we celebrated this blessed occasion with a mortgage-burning service. Construction of a new fellowship hall began on February 19, 2017, under the leadership of Elder Melvin Mobley. This fellowship hall was dedicated on April 15, 2018, as the Renson A. Thompson Fellowship Hall. For all these many blessings, we will continue to give all the Gory to God!!!!